How to Avoid the Most Common Electrical Fires

Lancaster electrical services

Electrical fires are the most dangerous of all house fires and can happen at any moment. Fortunately, electrical fires can be completely avoided altogether if you take the time to make sure your home is in proper order. Here’s how you can avoid these destructive fires.

Service Faulty Wiring
Homes with extremely old or damaged wiring have a greater risk of catching fire if this issue is ignored. As soon as you move into a new home, have the electrical system inspected and make any repairs it may need. For your current home, common signs of faulty wiring include blown fuses, easily overloaded circuits, and lights that dim when other electrical items are switched on. If your home exhibits any of these signs, call your local electrician immediately.

Inspect Electrical Cords
Anything that can be plugged into an electrical outlet should be inspected before it’s plugged in. Electrical cords can become damaged and frayed over time and it’s a serious fire hazard to plug in a damaged cord. Not only can the electrical cords spark, but they can also cause the appliances or electronics to overheat. If any do become damage, look to have the cord replaced.

Even the smallest of sparks can lead to the biggest of electrical fires that can destroy your entire home. When you need to have your electrical system serviced and repaired, contact the electricians at Lancaster Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electrical. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (717) 207-8198.

Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!